Help ensure a sustainable furniture by purchasing environmentally friendly furniture.
With all the recent news stories of natural disasters, products that are good for the environment should be at the top of your shopping list. Environmentally friendly furniture is a great choice for those who want to help create a sustainable future and create a unique look for their space! There’s a wide range of options available for people interested in beautiful, eco-friendly furniture options.
What is Environmentally Friendly Furniture?
Furniture that is environmentally friendly is made using materials that have a minimal negative impact on the environment. This can include:
· Wood and other materials that come from a renewable resource
· Minimal chemical use during production
· The use of local materials to minimize carbon footprints.
Skip mass-produced low-cost furniture that gets tossed after a few years and invest in something better!
Sustainable furniture can be made from:
· Natural materials such as bamboo, seagrass, and palm
· Salvaged wood
· Recycled textiles
· Reused materials
Why is Green Furniture a Better Choice?
There are many reasons why green furniture is a great choice for your space! This furniture causes less damage to the environment and makes your home environment safer. When you choose furniture made with less chemicals, there are less pollutants released into your home, minimizing risk of allergies and other health issues. Another plus is that eco-friendly furniture is often handcrafted, with beautiful artistic lines to mimic nature.
A great example is Pacific Green, a popular choice for those who want to combine environmentally friendly with modern, exotic, tropical-themed furniture.
“Coconut palms are the practical, ecologically-sound substitute to tropical hardwoods Pacific Green discovered when searching for an answer to the threat of deforestation. Palmwood®, Pacific Green’s finished exotic hardwood product derived from the coconut palm, proves to withstand both wet and dry climates and is also impervious to wood-boring insects, making it acceptable for both indoor and outdoor applications. One other notable quality of palm wood is that its beautiful golden sheen is free of blemishes and knots typically found in other hardwoods.”
Because this wood is impervious to moisture and insects, it will last for decades!
Furniture Shopping Tips
I’ve found that people who live in Hawaii generally love nature and search out sustainable products to use in their daily lives. Did you know that from 2019 to 2020, imports of wooden furniture to Hawaii increased by 67%, to 1.1 million dollars? (https://www.census.gov/foreign...) Just think of the impact it could have if even a fraction of this changed to more sustainable furniture instead of throwaway pieces that are shipped over and then discarded within a few years.
When you shop for sustainable furniture, here are some things to think about:
· Was the furniture made using green practices?
· Is the piece high quality and durable, so it will be used for a long time?
· Was the furniture made without harmful chemicals?
· Is it easy to maintain without chemical cleaners?
· How far does the furniture have to travel to get to you?
· Does the seller use sustainable packaging?
Besides the basic sustainable practices of the manufacturers, think about how you want your furniture to be used and purchase items that suit their use. For example, if you are looking for patio furniture, be sure to choose something that won’t rot when exposed to moisture.
Unique Sustainable Furniture
After much searching, I finally found the perfect blend between environmentally friendly furniture and art! I loved it so much that I decided to offer it in my gallery. It’s perfect for those who live in Hawaii and want to give their home a touch of island luxury!
Beyond being eco-friendly, Pacific Green does a fantastic job of highlighting the exotic locales and traditional handcrafting of the Indigenous people of the South Pacific.
“Inspired by ancient cultures, such as the Egyptians and Zulus, Pacific Green incorporates the simple ideals of their muses of working along with your environment, with admiration and appreciation, into every one of the pieces in their modern collection. Each chair, table and lounge, is a work of art, mimicking the techniques used by early artisans, using all parts of the Coconut Palm.”
Some fun facts about the company:
· Founded in Sydney, Australia in 1973.
· Each furniture piece carries the culture of a people and is finished intricately using traditional techniques and motifs.
· Coconut plantations are leased, not bought, to respect indigenous ownership.
· While Pierce Brosnan starred as James Bond, he became Pacific Green’s first Environmental Spokesperson.
· The company’s directors were invited to address the United Nations (Conference on Trade and Development) on sustainability and the social responsibility of manufacturers.
Environmentally friendly furniture is a great choice for unique, sustainable home décor. Check out the selection at my gallery in Lahaina (https://www.andrewshoemaker.co...), or visit my website (https://www.andrewshoemaker.co...).