Art in Hawaii
As a major travel destination for many, residents and business owners throughout the Hawaiian Islands offer a broad collection of fine arts, including photography, for travelers to bring with them on their journey home. These pieces of art not only beautify but help weave the memories of their travels into their everyday lives, providing an escape from the daily grind and the monotony of the less than exotic lives they live on the mainland.
The Wonder That is Maui
The island of Maui is the second largest of the Hawaiian Islands at 727 square miles. Native Hawaiian tradition gives the origin of the island's name in the legend of Hawaiʻiloa, the navigator credited with discovery of the Hawaiian Islands. According to it, Hawaiʻiloa named the island after his son, who in turn was named for the demigod Māui.
Maui's diverse landscapes are the result of a unique combination of geology, topography, and climate. Each volcanic cone in the chain of the Hawaiian Islands is built of dark, iron-rich/quartz-poor rocks, which poured out of thousands of vents as highly fluid lava over a period of millions of years. Several of the volcanoes were close enough to each other that lava flows on their flanks overlapped one another, merging into a single island. Maui is such a "volcanic doublet," formed from two shield volcanoes that overlapped one another to form an isthmus between them.
Maui is home to a number of enchanting art galleries. A few of the very best Fine Art Photography galleries call this island home. Below you will find a list of the very best fine art photography galleries that the island of Maui has to offer, as well as a summary of the rest of the Hawaiin islands…. Because you could never visit just once!
The Top Five Fine Art & Photography Galleries in Maui
- Andrew Shoemaker Fine Art Photography | This amazing collection of fine art photography prints from the islands of Hawaii combines rugged coastlines, beautiful seascapes and everything else that the islands have to offer! Located at 612 Front Street, Lahaina, HI 96761
- LIK Fine Art Lahaina | Artist Peter Lik has his longest running gallery located in Maui at 712 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761
- Kush Fine Art Lahainia | A Fine Art gallery spotlighting the artwork of Vladimir Kush, including oil paintings, sculptures and jewelry. This gallery is located at 820 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761
- Lahaina Galleries | Owners Jim & Nancy Killett bring a true family feeling to their dealings with their artists, customers, staff and kids in their community. Located at 3750 Wailea Alanui Dr A23, Kihei, HI 96753
- Harte International galleries | Showcasing art from both historic and modern masters the likes of Picasso, Rembrandt and Salvador Dali. Located at 844 Front St, Lahaina, HI 96761
The Hawaiian Islands
There are six major islands to visit in Hawaii: Kauai, Oahu, Molokai, Lanai, Maui, and the island of Hawaii! Each has its own distinct personality, adventures, activities and sights. We invite you to explore the Islands of Aloha to find your own heavenly Hawaii experiences.
- Kauai – The “Garden Isle” is home to some of the most dramatic scenery in the South Pacific.
- Oahu – The “Heart of Hawaii” is home to the capital city of Honolulu and legendary surf towns like Haleiwa.
- Molokai – True to its island roots, Molokai is filled with rustic charm and epic beauty.
- Lanai – Lanai is an island of contradictions and balances restful luxury with rugged terrain.
- Maui – From its famous beaches to the peak of Haleakala, Maui offers a wealth of unforgettable experiences.
- Island of Hawaii – From active volcanoes to coffee farms and beautiful beaches to rich history, there’s lots to see and do on the island of Hawaii.
No matter where you travel through the islands of Hawaii you are sure to have the opportunity to bring hope incredible works of art to remind you of your journey. If the events of today have put your travel plans on hold, the amazing nature photography prints produced by Andrew Shoemaker can be viewed through his online galleries here. We hope to see you soon back on the beautiful island of Maui!